Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Community & Relationships 6/7

The Internet allow us as users through an ISP to communicate with others, form friendships and relationships, form social groups, and most important gather information whether it's for personal, educational, or business use.

I found the article, "Identity Production in a Networked Culture: Why Youth Heart MySpace" by Danah Boyd, to be interesting. This article basically talk about how youth uses Myspace as place for identity production and socialization. Myspace is a social network where users create a profile about themselves, form friendships, and have the ability to socialize with close friends and form groups. I see nothing wrong with youth having a social place to "hang out", socialize with their friends who they don't get too see or keep in contact with by phone often, and as well as seek new friends. This type of public space in physically controlled space allows teens to be who they want to be and have fun without their parents controlling everything they do. If adults don't like the fact that teens are using Myspace, then why do adults themselves use it? Like the article stated that youth are not using the social network to scare their parents, but just to have a youth space to meet, socialize, and be notice by others (Boyd, 2006). I don't use Myspace, but I use Facebook which is similar to Myspace and I enjoy using it because friends I have not seen since high school, I stay connected to them. Also, I'am able to keep in touch with my close friends.

Another article I found interesting is "Online Personals: An Overview" by Andrew T. Fiore and Judith S. Donath. This article talked about online personal advertisements being a social network where people find their potential date or relationship with another person. I don't know much about online personal advertisements because I don't use them. However after reading the article, I guess people have better luck in finding their match on the Internet instead in public places like the mall, work, school, or night clubs because online dating systems can find people who match the other persons traits. One discussion that caught my eye was the term marriage market and that people should go with the best partner they can afford. It's sounds like to me an auction is going on because instead of a sale occuring which items are sold to the highest bidder, people that have the most characteristics, meet the person that looks for those characteristics. Online dating systems can be a little dangerous because the person you connect with very well, may not be the same person you meet face-to-face for the first time. For example, the current event that happened between the UMBC student and his online date where
he murdered her for the fact she change her mind about going back to his place. I like the private messaging based on the fact that users don't have to give their names or regular email addresses until they come to decision whether they want to contact each other which provides safety and privacy (Fiore & Donath, 2004). However, I still probably would not do it if I were to use one of the online date systems. I would rather meet someone face-to-face even if they don't have all the traits I look for. They still could be a good person.

"The Quality of Online Social Relationships" and "Understanding Human Activities and Relationships" are articles I was interested as well. These articles talked about social relationships over the Internet. I feel that the Internet does "serve human needs" (Shneiderman) because when I need information for personal or school use, I can find it on the Internet. With the Internet, we can send by email memories of being with friends and families as a way of staying contact with them. For example, photo software such as Kodak software installed on my computer allows me to send photos of people that I have close ties with to them. They appreciate the fact that I send them for that I still care about them. In the article "The Quality of Online Social Relationships", there was a study done with bank workers and college students comparing communication over different media (telephone, email, and face-to-face) and it was found between both groups that email was less ineffective for maintainingg personal relationships compared to the other communication medium(Cummings, Helgeson, & Crawford, 2002). I guess I could see that being possible because most people don't response to their emails and that you can't deeply express your thoughts or feelings in the same way if you were talking on the phone or meet in person. However, students did find email to be as effective as the other two communications for homework and exchanging information. I have emailed my homework to my professors and exchange information to my friends because I find it much easy and accessable.

Following link is related to online dating: "Deaf Turn to Dating Online" http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3078714/from/ET/

2 comments:

Amina Ade said...

There sure is nothing wrong with having a place to "hang out" i agree with you. It is when this space becomes a safer haven for a teenager who has yet to understand life that it becomes pretty dangerous and uncomfortable. what happen to traditional sleep over and house parties?, these things are losing their space itself and the internet for these kids have become or is almost becoming their first space. And internet dating is not making things easier either, there goes the online dating and mail order brides. hopefully this trends does not critically affect our norms.

Ibe said...

I agree with your stance on Myspace, I myself find Myspace scary at times. Too many "unknowns" lurking. Facebook I hope does not take that course but now that they are an "open' network and not just limited to university students you never know. I agree with you that kids are not using the internet to scare parents, they use it as an alternative to getting out and socializing. Maybe because it is a little easier for them to be socially acceptable and an easier "ice breaker" than being face to face with a group of kids. Internet relationships have their ups and downs, like you said, in the case of UMBC, it could turn to Murder, in other cases, nothing. I enjoy the fact that the Internet still gives you anonymity but still lets you be who you really are.